Sunday, April 25, 2010

When did I become the bad guy?

I haven't written in a while. I'll confess, the current situation has me paralyzed; I cannot write well because when I try I get sick to my stomach. I and those who share my profession have become public enemy number one and I am positively heartbroken at the polarization of the population. I am not going into detail here because I cannot. I'm afraid that I'm three years from retirement and I'm going to lose a majority of my pension through animosity and ignorance. I am not going to get rich on my pension; indeed I was already planning on working part time after retirement simply to pay my bills and buy food. How can people begrudge me so little when I've spent a career helping them and their children become qualified to have their own careers? I don't understand the world anymore, and it makes me sad.

5 comments:

  1. Like my friend Aaron says, "You can't spell 'masses' without 'asses'."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You owe it to yourself to stay sane. Write away, please. You don't have to share it with the public. Just write. Write because you can. Write because no one else can take that away from you. I'm pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charli,

    You put perfectly into words the emotions that I have been feeling. While I do understand Christie's desires to "fix" the economics of NJ, he has unfairly turned the public against us-- making us, as you said, "public enemy number 1." Even my two best friends who work in the private sector have turned anti-teacher... not because they hate teachers, but because they have been the victims of lay-offs and downsizing, and their raises are conditional on performance alone-- not seniority or a "contractual pay scale." The result? It is not that they feel we are overpaid, but that we have unfair security in an insecure world. If my own friends cannot support me and my career, it is hard to have hope that the masses will. All the public sees is tenure as a means of protecting the bored and unworthy teachers; what they do not see are the gifted and dedicated professionals-- like you-- who work their asses off every day for the sake of the children. I pray that one day it gets better. If it doesn't, I'll meet you and Tim in North Carolina.

    Love & Hugs,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you all for your support. This is such a heartbreaking time for those of us who care so deeply about the value of what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is not a greater vocation than teaching that i know. You have had such an amazing impact on so many people. I am certain you are aware of the book/movie "The five people you meet in heaven" If you have not, it's a simple story of a man who didn't think his life had ever mattered because he was a simple mechanic, only to see in the end how much of an impact he had. This Govenor of ours is such a difficult person to find goodness in. I am sorry that you and other teachers feel that the public sees you all as enemies. As for me and i am sure many former students of yours, we see it as very much the opposite. You are a hero to many ( and i am aware of just how much more you did for certain friends of mine in need) Never give in, you have made a tremendous difference in this world for the good.
    Harvey Cottrell

    ReplyDelete