Saturday, February 19, 2011

It's 2011-where does the time go?

Hello followers!

Well, it's been a while, I admit. Life has a nasty way of interfering, and this past year life has been most intrusive, I'm afraid.

I've been wondering what is happening to the world around me. Apparently people have begun to go insane, and I'm really trying to piece together exactly when that started. Apparently it's not enough to disagree with people, we now have to resort to name calling, character attacks, and calls for violence. Violence? Because we disagree? It just makes me sad.

Another thing that makes me sad is the economy and how the politicians in charge are trying to fix it. Our economy tanked because of greed, namely the greed of the people who control most of the wealth in the country. Now those are the people who are trying to blame public employees and union members for the problems and steal, once again, from those they stole from in the first place. Does no one see the hypocrasy? Really, people, unions aren't the problem, the greedy fat cats are the problem, and if you let them win, conditions for all workers are going to deteriorate so drastically that we will be in danger of becoming a third world country. The middle class is being assaulted from all sides and I'm fearful of the implications.

But let's not dwell on the negatives; there are some good things to think about as well. I have some remarkable students this year; kids I really like and who seem to care about actually learning something. It makes it easier to go to work when there is something good happening there. Oh sure, there are those who are disengaged and really difficult to motivate, but even some of them have begun to come around, and that really made this week a lot better. I actually had two students ask for extra help before HSPAs. In the beginning of the year they were disinterested and unmotivated. They're showing improvement now, and asking for help. I think that pretty much made my week.

My husband makes my week too. No matter what else is going on in the world, when we're home together it's like everything else fades away. Having a strong relationship when everything around you is falling apart goes a long way towards keeping it all together. I heartily endorse finding someone who can share in your interests, keep you laughing, and suport you no matter what you are doing. So glad I found him.

I'm not going to promise regular updates here, but I will be back, and hopefully with more upbeat posts. Lord, I need a vacation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment