Sunday, February 20, 2011

Three Day Weekends

The beauty of the three day weekend lies in Sunday night.

Ever since childhood, Sunday nights have been fraught with stress and dread. I was a nervous child, and knowing that school loomed on the horizon cast a shadow on Sundays. I spent Sunday afternoons clutching onto every second of daylight because I knew that once the sun went down, I was horrifyingly close to MONDAY morning! My nervous stomach would kick in around 8 pm, and move into high gear once the alarm went off the next morning. No matter what was on tv on Sunday night, it couldn't completely hold my attention.

Once I was out of school, Sunday nights meant thinking about the next day at work, which was usually at an unfulfilling, mundane job that was mind-numbingly boring. I had several of those jobs before I finally made my move into education. Now, I at least am NEVER bored with my job, but Sunday nights usually mean preparation for another hectic week filled with planning, grading, meetings, dealing with approximately 30 different personalities for 45 sustained minutes five times a day, and other "to do" items that must be accomplished before I can leave. I'm not nervous anymore, and at least I love my job, so that's a plus, but it's still unbelieveably busy and draining. Most Monday nights, I collapse by 7:30 pm, some items still undone.

But then there's a three day weekend.

Sundays of a three day weekend are always glorious, mostly because at several points in the day I stop and remind myself that no matter how fast the day is flying by, I still have one more day off! Sunday nights are usually when I have to fight my body clock and try to get to bed at a reasonable hour so that I can once again spend a week dragging myself out of bed at 5 am, but on a three day weekend, I can stay up with the big kids and watch all the late night shows I usually have to pass up or DVR. I can relax and feel like a human being without an impossibly busy calendar looming ahead.

So, it's 9:18 pm on a Sunday of a three day weekend. I'm rested, looking forward to getting together with a high school friend tomorrow, and for one Sunday night, enjoying the evening. Hope everyone is feeling the same! Happy President's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment